Do you have a vision for your ideal life? Do you have personal, professional, and fitness goals to help achieve that vision?
Your vision defines your ideal life and identifies the goals you’ll need to get there. Through goal setting, you get down to the nitty-gritty of what you need to do – and when you need to do it by – to create your ideal life.
Goal setting is an incredibly important process that can provide clarity and focus not only for the future, but also for the present. But it’s not widely used—or understood. The goal setting process provides structure and direction when working towards a stated purpose.
Goal setting also provides motivation and can help you organize your time and resources so that you can make the most of your efforts.
Here are six steps to help you set and accomplish your goals:
- Decide what your values are. This is important because you need to ensure your goals are in line with your values. Your goal should support your values and work in harmony with them.
- Determine what it is that your really want. It’s important to be very specific; don’t leave any room for questioning later down the road. By knowing precisely what you want to achieve, you know where you have to concentrate your efforts. Once you identify what it is that you really want, then set your goal.
- Write your goal down and share it with someone you trust. When your goal is written down and shared with someone then you can be held accountable for your goal. Your goal now becomes real and not just an idea that never comes to fruition.
- Be precise when setting your goal. Give your goal a deadline and give your goal dates, amounts, times, etc. so that you can measure your progress.
- Identify how you are going to accomplish your goal. This is important. You must be clear on how you are going to reach your goal.
- Build a support group. It is crucial to have support when you are trying to achieve something that takes perseverance, dedication and determination. Your support group should be made up of people who have your best interest at heart. They can help motivate you and provide encouragement as you work toward success. They also provide needed accountability. Identify those who detract from your stated goal and try to eliminate their influence as much as possible.
Set goals that yield a positive effect on your life whenever you think about them, long before the final outcome is actually achieved. Treat goal setting as a way to enhance your present reality, not as a way to control the future.